SWIG: Casting Revisited

A while back I wrote SWIG and a Miss, which is a post about several of the problems I’ve encountered with SWIG. At that time I didn’t have a solution for dealing with down casting – the process of casting from a base class to a more derived class.…

Project Photofly Experiment

Last week we were sitting around the office wondering if it would be possible to place ourselves in a game world with Autodesk’s Project Photofly.  How cool would that be?  We thought we might be able to scan one of us in a T-pose and then use Mixamo’s…

How I Organize Research

About a year ago I got tired of trying to keep the mounting supply of PDFs and PowerPoint slides I’ve collected over the years organized.  They weren’t searchable, I had to organize them in broad categories in folders, I couldn’t share them between work and home, they…

Hierarchical Z-Buffer Occlusion Culling - Generating Occlusion Volumes

Almost a year ago I wrote a couple of posts on Hierarchical Z-Buffer Occlusion Culling (HZB-OC). Hierarchical Z-Buffer Occlusion Culling Hierarchical Z-Buffer Occlusion Culling – Shadows One very glaring issue I left largely untouched was the workflow issue.  Artists currently have to author all or a large percentage of the volumes…

Extend Visual Studio!

The Pitch I don’t want to show you how to add a command button or toolbar to Visual Studio, there are plenty of examples out there for that. I want to provide you with an example showing how writing a Visual Studio extension could benefit your studio’s workflow.…

SWIG and a Miss

There are so many pitfalls you’ll encounter after using SWIG for any extended period of time or with a large enough codebase.  I thought I would go over some of the more notable ones I’ve encountered creating a C# wrapper that had me sighing and doubling my caffeine…

Do the Truffle Shuffle to Start

Preface The first time I stepped in front of a depth camera was almost a year ago now.  We had a reference version of a PrimeSense camera that is heavily related to the final hardware that went into Kinect.  The first thing I got to do was make a stick…